Thursday, June 26, 2008

A New Goal In The Making


My friend Tristi is issuing a writing challenge for July and since I pretty much botched June up I figured I better try for it. To check it out for yourself you can go to Tristi's Challenges. My goal will be 13,500 words. That is about 500 words a day, not including Sunday. To prepare for it this week I am going to be reading a great book that Orson Scott Card recommended called THE LOST COUNTRY LIFE. It is so fascinating, and the new story line is really coming along in my head by reading this. It is all about how the average man lived daily life in medieval England. It is awesome. And speaking of Tristi and writing...
Tristi Pinkston has been a friend of mine since I was 12 years old. Our parents were in a business organization together and there was a group for kids called The Young Executives. Tristi is one of the nicest, most sincere people I have ever met. Her challenges help would-be-writers all over to reach their goals. That being said, I am a little ashamed that it took me so long to reading her books, but I did. I just finished STRENGTH TO ENDURE and I really enjoyed it.
The book is set in Germany during WW2 and is really compelling. So here is my truthful review.
I really had gotten into the first part of this story and the life of this German family as the war tore the country apart. And then all of a sudden it got religious and I thought, Oh no. Now don't get me wrong. I am LDS and I have a firm testimony. But, and I won't name names here, there are some authors who turn stories about accepting the gospel into less than believable fiction. Tristi hit it right on. I truly felt the spirit in these people's lives and it helped to strengthen my own testimony that I do believe in a kind and loving Heavenly Father, and that I do believe miracles can happen, and he does bless our lives.
If you are looking for a easy book that makes you feel good then check this out. I will be reading another book by her, NOTHING TO REGRET this week. It is also a WW2 story, but takes place in Topaz, Utah at the Japanese relocation camp. D and I took the kids out there in March and showed them around what was left, which is not much. But there is a memorial wall and it was a great opportunity to teach our children what went on during the war. I am excited to see what Tristi does with this book. So as she challenges me to get a book written, I challenge you to look her up and read some of hers. She is a true gem to the LDS writing community.

3 comments:

Jewel Allen said...

Tomorrow, my goal is to finish a revision and I thought I would take a break for a spell, but you've got me interested in doing the BIAM.

I admire Tristi a lot. She constantly amazes me. Lucky you for having a friend and mentor like her.

Good luck with your challenge and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Your persistence poster is the best thing I have seen in a long time :-) I think it's so great that you even set goals for yourself..I am usually not brave enough...too scared that I won't make them so why begin. I need to take lessons from your good attitude!!

Autumn said...

You can do it!!!

Tristi is AWESOME, isn't she?!