Saturday, February 23, 2008

Book Review: The Princess and the Hound

The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison is the story of Beauty and the Beast turned upside down and backwards. I had the chance to meet the author last week and she described it as what would happen if the girl was the beast.
The story is told from the POV of Prince George who has grown up his entire life having to hide the fact that he can talk with animals, for admitting to such a crime would bring death. When he finds out that his soon to be bride as a hound that she keeps as a constant companion, he is worried, but goes through with the arrangements in hopes to bring peace to the two kingdoms.
The book is well written and very thought provoking. It is a little deeper than a middle reader and I found myself at points wishing that the author could expand on certain details, mostly because I was so intrigued with her story that I found myself wanting more. For this reason alone I would give it 4 and 1/2 stars instead of 5. As a book for tweens and teens it is purely delightful, with a beautiful romance. It is a great tale and a definite worth while read.

No comments: