Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Book Review: Once Upon A Marigold

I had heard this book was cute and so I picked it up at my niece's house. While the book is cute, I think I came into it with higher expectations that it delivered. This is a great book to let your kids read, or to read with them. It is easy, quick and whitty, but the plot is very predictable.
Remember how they took A Knight's Tale or Ella Enchanted and made the movies "Fairy tale setting with modern dialog"? Well this is what the author did. It was funny, but sometimes I found that taking me out of the story.
It is about a boy named Christian who is lost in the forest and taken in by a kind troll. He falls in love with the princess across the river, but it is hopeless because a commoner can never marry a princess. Need I explain more?
There were some funny sub plots that if this was a book for adults I would have expected them to go into more. For example, the troll is petitioning members of the LEFT (Leprechauns, Elves, Fairies, and Trolls) Associaiton to end the tooth fairy's contol on the tooth market.
I would give this book three stars and tell you to read it with any child between the ages of five and twelve.
Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris

2 comments:

kingwritergirl said...

I'll have to check it out sometime. If nothing else it has a really cute title

Laurel said...

Sabine, I'm so proud of you and your blog. I'll be checking back for your book selections.