Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Favorite Vampires

Vampires? Who needs them? Give me Aliens any day, or at least humans in Alien situations! That was me. I never made it through Dracula, and even though Van Helsing was played by Hugh, it would have been so much better if he was fighting spacemen! But then I picked up a book, a little teeny bopper book that my niece and all her friends were going gaga over. Come on, you know the book I mean. And all of a sudden vampires could be good, they could have morals, they could be in pain over the need to take human blood, and they could turn you into mush as they tried to convince their human counterparts that Immortality is not all daisies and sunshine.
Yes my friend, we have entered a new world, the world of good Vampires ( or at least really spunky bad ones) so here is my list of the Vampires I would not mind running into and why.




The Cullens. Need I say more? Not really but I will. The whole family has something good in them. Whether it is Emmet's joking around, Alice's persistent happiness, or the way Edward looks at Bella when he stops the truck from hitting her. They were the ones to start it all for me. Edwards constant battle inside himself as to if he was a monster or not, when everyone looking in could see he was better than most the "humans" around, gave me a new perspective into Vampires and I found myself thinking, hey these bloodsuckers are not so bad.



Fast forward to last year, when I finally decided that I needed to watch Buffy. Oh I had seen the movie in high school and laughed my head off at the corny lines, but I had put it off for a long time because as I said, I was an alien girl. But the Cullens had softened me and after all, Joss Whedon's masterpiece Firefly is my favorite series of all time, I figured it was time to give Buffy the series a go. And it was there I discovered my next two favorite Vampires.

First we have Angel, played by David Boreanaz. A Vampire that has been given a soul. A Vampire that refuses to take human blood, a vampire who is in love the Vampire Slayer. His tortured portrayal of the monster he could become, of the crimes he had committed in the past made him such an icon that they ended up giving him his own series. My favorite episode is when he becomes mortal, finally he and Buffy can be together, but then he is faced with the choice to be with Buffy, or to be able to protect her, which he can only do as a Vampire. Oh the tragedy!



Next is Spike, who is so not the good guy. He is bratty, hates humans, and is a pain in the neck (literally). But he is one of those bad guys that you love to hate. What would Buffy be without Spike always showing up causing problems for pretty much everyone? If the vampires in Dracula had had Spike's sarcasm, snarl, and snarkiness I may have began to enjoy the whole Vampire world long ago.



And finally we get to the heart of this post. The show that has got me Gaga over Vamps. Moonlight. Take Mick St John, a private eye in LA who uses his speed, stealth, and strength to help fight crime and protect the woman he loves--even if she has a boyfriend who is a really great guy and so each episode of each extremely short run (1 season, stupid writer's strike) leaves you wondering who she should be with. The man who can never age, never give her a life, but looks at her in a way that makes you melt? Or the nice respectable DA who loves her just as much, but maybe just doesn't have that look of desire quite down yet? I finished This last night and all I have to say is Thank heavens, even though they only did one season at least they left you with a clear promise of what the future for this PI might hold.



Last, but not least is Mick's friend Josef. He bugged me at first, but I have to admit by the end of the show he had me. Rich, cocky, and yet still having that little sensitive side that lets you know, if the right girl came around, he just might change.

So there you have it. I have been converted. Now don't get me wrong. I still like my Sci fi shows, Farscape, Firefly, Stargate. Oh yeah, hey Deep Space nine was responsible for me falling in love with my husband. But from now on when I see Vampire I won't be turning a blind eye to what could be a great new show, or book. Vampires, tonight you win!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am thrilled that you agree with me!!!

Gail said...

I am so glad you have joined the group of vampire lovers. Welcome to the darkside of things. ha

Give M a highfive from me for cutting her hair